This page presents researched information about the Roman Catholic parish church dedicated to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in Panjim (Panaji), Goa.
Basic details
- Location: Panjim (Panaji), Goa, India.
- Dedication: Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, patroness of Panjim.
- Architectural style: Portuguese colonial Baroque, with Goan influences.
History and construction
The original building on this site was an ermida (small hermitage/chapel) constructed before 1541 to serve Portuguese seamen whose first port of call in India was Panjim, before they proceeded upriver to Old Goa.
A chapel for sailors is recorded as existing by 1541 and is considered one of the earliest Christian structures in Panjim. In 1600, the Panjim hermitage was elevated to the status of a parochial church, separated from its former parent parish of Taleigao. The present, larger church was then built by reconstructing the earlier building from its foundations; this new church was inaugurated in 1619 under Archbishop Frei Cristóvão de Sá e Lisboa.
Over time, additional structures were added. The famous zigzag double staircase, which leads up from the main square to the church entrance, was constructed around 1870–1871, modelled on the staircase of the Church of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios in Lamego, Portugal. Around the same period, the bell tower and facade were reinforced to carry a very large bell salvaged from the Augustinian Monastery in Old Goa.
Architectural significance
The church is one of Panjim’s best-known landmarks, with a striking white facade, twin towers, and a central belfry. The exterior embodies Portuguese Baroque style adapted to local conditions, and the church is frequently used as a visual symbol of Goa in films and tourism materials.
The main altar is in a Renaissance-influenced style and is dedicated to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. Side altars are dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary and to the Crucifixion of Christ, among others. The interior features ornate wood carvings, blue-white-gold decoration typical of Goan Catholic churches, chandeliers, and reredos (decorative screens) behind the altars.
A distinctive feature of the church is the very large bell housed in the central belfry. This bell was originally part of the Augustinian Monastery (the Church of Our Lady of Grace) at Old Goa, was later moved to the Fort Aguada chapel, and finally installed in Panjim. It is regarded as the second-largest church bell in Goa, after the ‘Golden Bell’ in the Sé Cathedral at Old Goa.
Feast day and devotional life
The principal feast of the church is the Feast of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, celebrated every year on 8 December. The feast is preceded by a nine-day novena beginning in late November, during which multiple Masses and special devotions are held.
On the feast day, the church and its facade are illuminated, and the celebrations include Masses in Konkani and English, processions with brass bands, and a fair around the church square. The feast attracts parishioners from Panjim and pilgrims from across Goa and beyond, and is considered one of the most prominent Catholic feasts in the city.
Beliefs, traditions, and local importance
As a parish dedicated to Mary under the title of the Immaculate Conception, the church is a focus of Marian devotion. Many faithful visit to light candles and seek the intercession of Our Lady for protection, health, and safe travel. The location on the hill above the city and the long stairway have made the church a symbolic ‘watcher’ over Panjim, with the statue of Our Lady overlooking the city below.
The church also plays a central role in the religious life of Panjim as a historic parish: it conducts daily Masses in Konkani, English, and sometimes Portuguese, and has historically been associated with charitable works, catechesis, and education through institutions linked to the parish.
Other historical notes
- The church was originally affiliated to the Taleigao parish and only later became an independent parish church.
- Behind the church there was once a parochial cemetery, which was abandoned in the late 19th century when burials were transferred to St Inez parish.
- The church has been renovated and maintained over the centuries, preserving its Baroque facade while adapting its interior and surrounding spaces to contemporary liturgical and pastoral needs.